Friday, January 23, 2009

Healthy Cooking

I have been cooking "healthy" since the first of the year. I cook my chicken breasts in a skillet with a little olive oil. I season it with onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper. Sometimes I may add a little dried minced onion. Then I cook some broccoli seasoned with salt & pepper and maybe a little garlic powder. Or I'll cook baked potatoes which we eat with just salt & pepper (Clint likes ketchup on his). Sometimes I make mashed potatoes with only milk, salt and pepper which are surprisingly good. Even with no butter in them! We might also have a spinach salad with grape tomatoes and carrots sprinkled lightly with homemade italian dressing (1 tbs. for me). Sometimes I also cook green beans and corn or some "noodles" for Summer and Clint. There is one recipe for a yummy veggie which I really like - Greek spinach. I'll share that recipe today in case anyone ever does start reading this blog and cares to have it.

Greek Spinach

1 tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 can spinach
1 can diced tomatoes
1 handfull white rice

First heat the olive oil in pot. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until they look cooked (kind of clear instead of white). Then add your spinach, tomatoes & rice. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is done. You can also add salt to your taste if needed.

Like I said this is one of my favorite dishes that my mom used to make growing up. I am sure you could substitute brown rice if you want to be even healthier. Beware the spinach is hot and may need to cool especially if you are serving little ones. Be sure to stir their spinach after a minute or two on the plate as it seems to be well insulated. LOL Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment